Vacancies

Music Leader required for St Mary’s, Yatton, Somerset

Further details of the organ itself: (taken from the church website):

Originally, the organ was built for Bath Abbey in 1703 by the Jordan’s, successors to Father Smith, a German organ-builder to King Charles II. In 1838, it was taken to the Chapel of the Bishop’s Palace, Wells. At the end of 1842, the instrument was purchased by the Rev. D. M. Clerk, who was then Vicar, for this church at a cost of £150, and the Bishop sanctioned its removal. It was erected in St Mary’s in a gallery that at the time existed below the west window. With the original organ were three allegedly life-sized carved figures of St. Peter, St. Paul and King David, each carved from a single piece of wood, the work of a Danish carver and considered to be very fine specimens of their period (1702). Following the 1872 restoration these carved creations went walkabout, but found in a builder’s yard (or furniture shop – depending upon the version of the story being told) by members of the Hardman family who returned them to the Church in 1925. St David with his ubiquitous harp is in Bath Abbey in one of the transepts.

The instrument was removed to the South Transept in the general restoration of 1872 and thirty-four years later entirely rebuilt by Nicholson and Lord, and moved forward to allow room for the Choir Vestry behind. Again, in need of attention in 1977 the console was moved to its present position, the organ reduced to kit-form, re-erected, and improved tonally. All this work took place through the efforts of voluntary help under the guidance of retired organ builder Mr A. W. Pritchard. The work commenced in April 1977 led by Churchwardens Bill Marsh and David Stancombe and completed in June 1978. It was thought until recently that the instrument could still claim to be a Jordan Organ but the church was sadly disabused of this in 2001 by Dr William McVicker, St Mary’s independent organ adviser. It was learned that the only item left from the original instrument was the filigree fretwork above the console – woodwork not known for its properties of creating 18th century sound!

[posted Tue28Sept2021]

___________________________________________________

Organist required for St Peter’s Church, Evercreech, Somerset

There are services every Sunday, typically Holy Communion (with Café Church on the 3rd Sunday of the month which does not require the organist’s participation – thus providing one Sunday per month respite). In addition, there are occasional ‘special’ services such as Harvest Festival etc.

There are 109 members on the Electoral Roll and the regular congregation is around 50 increasing to over 200 for the main Christian festivals.

There is a choir with its own choirmaster who accompany services and sing occasional anthems and additional pieces on special occasions. The choir generally practises once a week.

The organ is a Sweetland organ which has 2 manuals and a full pedal board, the GREAT has 10 stops and unusually for a country parish church the PEDAL BOARD has 8 stops.

The instrument is regularly tuned and regulated.  Finally, the church piano is a Bentley upright which is also regularly tuned.

In addition to Sunday services, weddings and funerals are by separate arrangement.

An enhanced DBS check will be necessary upon appointment. Remuneration will be based on RSCM rates. For further information please contact Geoff Hamlet:

ghamlet@uwclub.net

or tel: 01749 830924.

[posted Fri24Sept2021]

_______________________________________________________